A footballer in Lagos, Taiwo Akinlusi, also known as Sir Tee, was Saturday, electrocuted while climbing down the staircase where he went for his usual football betting at Ile-Epo bus stop, Ejigbo area of Lagos.
The unfortunate incident, which occurred Saturday, was said to have happened when Akinlusi’s head touched a naked wire dangling down the building of the plaza.
According to an eyewitness, Mr. Abiodun Adaranijo, Akinlusi – who was playing for Ejigbo All Stars FC – would have bent his head to avoid the wire but he did not take note of the clumsy dangling wires.
“It was not the first time Akinlusi passed through the staircase and bypassed the wire even on that fateful day,” he adds.
“He was in a haste to return home placing stakes. He forgot to bend his head to avoid the wire at the spot and mistakenly touched the wire with his head”.
Describing the incident as unfortunate, the Chairman of Ailegun Community Development Association ( CDA), Bimbo Olawale, a barrister, confirmed the tragic loss.
He said, “Residents have always been warned to be cautious of their electrical wiring and be security conscious to avoid such incident. We tell them that security includes anything that can affect human life such as electricity in terms of wiring.”
Bemoaning the loss, the chairman prayed they would not to experience such again. Adding, he said, “The incident has affected the power supply in the community. The supply to the area had to be switched off but we have contacted Ikeja Electric to come fix it”.
Akinlusi’s corpse has been deposited at the Isolo General Hospital morgue.Follow us on social media