The Lagos State Government has said that the ongoing demolition of illegal structures within the Lagos’ National Stadium has been executed to 75 percent completion rate.
According to the state’s Ministerial Implementation Committee on ‘restoration’ of Lagos National Stadium, the entire project is expected to last for seven more weeks.
Already, several structures, including the O’jez Bar and Old Skool joint, have been marked for demolition.
The National Stadium which sits at Surulere, Lagos, last hosted a major event in 2004. Since then, it has been abandoned with virtually all aspects of the complex in dire need of rehabilitation.
The Co-chairman of the Restoration Committee Retired Navy-Commodore Omatseye Nesiama, said, yesterday, that the demolition was halted to allow shop owners move out their property.
“We just slowed down to allow those moving out to get their property out safely.
“The final stage of the demolition will take place this week. By Thursday, the bulldozers will move in finally to roll over all illegal structures, and thereafter, we will begin cleaning of the rubbles.”
Nesiama commended shop owners affected in the exercise for their understanding.
He said, “I commend them for their understanding, and for heeding to our advice. Their interest is no doubt being factored into the future scheme of things. In the long run, everyone will be better for it.”
According to one of the shopowners, “This demolition is a big punishment to me. I don’t even have a good place for my property. But I have to take some important ones to my house inside Surulere to avoid being crushed by the bulldozers. The stadium is a Federal Government property, and there is no way we can argue with them.”
It can be recalled that a 21-day eviction notice was given to ‘illegal occupants’ to vacate the National Stadium in Surulere, Lagos by the Ministry of Youths and Sports Development.Follow us on social media