A seven-man judicial panel of inquiry set up to investigate cases of brutality and human rights violations committed by operatives of the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), in Lagos, would be sworn-in on Monday.
The panel was instituted last Thursday following agreements reached at the national economic council (NEC) meeting presided over by the Vice President Yemi Osinbajo and attended by all the governors.
Sanwo-Olu said the development is in line with the five-point demands by youths demonstrating against police brutality.
He said the objective is to bring erring officers to justice and get compensation for the victims.
The panel is comprised of three individuals representing civil society, one security agency representative, government representative, human rights activist and a representative of the human rights commission.
The panel will be chaired by retired Justice Doris Okuwobi.
Other panel members are Mr. Ebun Adegboruwa, SAN (representing the civil society), Taiwo Lakanu (a retired deputy inspector general of police), Ms Patience Udoh (representing the Civil Society), Mr. Segun Awosanya (human rights activist), Mrs. Olutoyin Odusanya (director, Lagos Citizens Mediation Center), as well as a representative of the youth-led protest and a representative of the Human Rights Commission.
The governor had earlier announced that a N200 million trust fund has been established for the compensation of victims and families of those who died in the course of SARS’ activities.
He said members of the public can petition the panel against SARS actions by contacting the help desk on the numbers: 0901 051 3203, 0901 051 3204 and 0901 051 3205.Follow us on social media