A fire suspected to have sparked off from a power surge has destroyed 12 shops at the Ijesha axis of Surulere, Lagos.
It was learnt that the fire occurred around 6pm on Saturday and raged for about three hours before it was extinguished by firefighters from the Isolo and Bolade fire stations.
The Acting Head, Lagos Fire and Rescue Service, Mrs. Margaret Adeseye, said a distress call came from the community at 6.31pm.
She said, “Isolo and Bolade fire stations were promptly detailed to rescue the situation and they completely put out the fire at the scene.”
She further explained that on arrival at the location, the firefighters discovered that 12 shops attached to a residential building were severely burnt.
Adeseye stated that no casualty was recorded, adding that the fire was extinguished around 9pm.
She advised Lagosians to be cautious with the use of electrical gadgets and engage qualified electrical engineers to fix faults to forestall fire outbreak.Follow us on social media