No fewer than 43 farmers have been killed, while six were seriously wounded following an attack by Boko Haram fighters in Maiduguri, yesterday.
According to military sources, the assailants tied up the agricultural workers and slit their throats in the village of Koshobe.
“We have recovered 43 dead bodies, all of them slaughtered, along with six others with serious injuries,” said militia leader Babakura Kolo, who helped the survivors. “It is no doubt the handiwork of Boko Haram, who operate in the area and frequently attack farmers,” the source said.
The victims were labourers from Sokoto state in northwest Nigeria, roughly 1,000 kilometers (600 miles) away, who had traveled to the northeast to find work, said Ibrahim Liman, another military official who gave the same toll.
“There were 60 farmers who were contracted to harvest … the rice fields. Forty-three were slaughtered, with six injured,” Liman said.
Eight others were missing, presumed to have been kidnapped by the jihadists, he said.
The bodies were taken to Zabarmari village, two kilometers away, where they would be kept ahead of burial Sunday, said resident Mala Bunu, who took part in the search-and-rescue operation.
Last month, Boko Haram militants slaughtered 22 farmers working in their irrigation fields near Maiduguri in two separate incidents.
Boko Haram and ISWAP have increasingly targeted loggers, herders and fishermen in their violent campaign, accusing them of spying and passing information to the military and the local militia fighting them.
At least 36,000 people have been killed in the jihadist conflict, which has displaced around 2 million people since 2009.
The violence has also spread into neighboring Niger, Chad and Cameroon, prompting a regional military coalition to fight the militants.
The attack took place as voters went to the polls in local elections in Borno State.
The elections had been repeatedly postponed because of an increase in attacks by Boko Haram and ISWAP.Follow us on social media