According to a Harvard Business School study, 14% of the people who have set goals are 10 times more successful than those without goals. The study goes further to state that people with goals written down are three times more successful than people with unwritten goals.
In my 15 year career as an entrepreneur I have learned the importance and relevance of Goal setting and holding myself accountable to the goals I’ve set.
Goal setting is a way to create a productive system in life, sometimes life happens and plans go south but there are certain tips that can help you be accountable to your goals. Here are my tips on how to stay on track with goal setting and being accountable to your goals:
- Get to know yourself: The benefit of this cannot be overstated, getting to know yourself will help you understand the kind of goals you can handle on your own effortlessly and the ones you don’t have the capacity to handle on your own
- Write down your goals: It’s always better to pen down your goals. This helps create a vision in your mind of how you want to be in the future. You can visually see the goal and understand the difference it will make in your life, career or business.
- Split your Work: As much as you want to dive in on your goals, there is a high possibility you’ll get overwhelmed. So be SMART about it. You can split your goals to help you measure your efforts accurately. It can be split into category from easy to difficult or high priority to low priority.
- Get an accountability partner: An accountability partner is someone you can tell your plan and they will check on you from time to time to make sure you are progressing steadily. We all need accountability, because some days would feel less motivating than others.
- Create a Reward System: Reward yourself for every goal achieved, no matter how small or big you perceive the goal to be. A reward system serves as an acknowledgement in your capabilities. It will motivate and push you towards achieving all goals.
- Create a personalized schedule: This is slightly related to when you get to know yourself, get to know what works for you also; the timing, work atmosphere and your productive times. All these will help you create a schedule suitable for you also known as a Personalized schedule.